Missions of the Reliant

Those who have been using Macs for at least 14 years may or may not remember a space game for old Macs that went by the name “Missions of the Reliant”.

It was a really fun little game with a few missions in it, changable crew members in your ship, powerups for your ship, a nice big galaxy to hang around in, systems that took damage and could be repaired… if you’re thinking Rescue!, don’t, Missions was much better.

Anyway, like all the old Mac games, it’s long since nonfunctional on modern machines. But I wasn’t willing to settle for that, so I pulled up my e-mail and wrote a letter to Michael Rubin, the original author of Missions, asking if I might get the source code and take a crack at porting it to OS X.

His enthusiasm was beyond anything I could have hoped for. I’m very grateful to him for the opportunity he’s given me to bring a classic back to the Mac. I’ll be posting updates here regularly about my progress on the port.

Progress Report 1

Well, I’ve got the code, and I’ve looked it over. Ah, the old glory days of Pascal, inline A-traps, GWorlds, manual event handling… The Mac Toolbox did almost nothing for you; it was a true low-level interface to the OS, something I feel we’ve gotten away from in these days of Cocoa. Sure, OS X has the POSIX interfaces, but they’re a whole different world. Anyway, the code is a real trip back to olden times, and I love every minute of it.

First step was to create the Xcode project. That took about three hours.

Wait, what? Three hours? Well, once you figure setting up the project settings, the target settings, tweaking the things Xcode’s templates don’t get quite right, editing the pregenerated files to not have broken line breaks and incorrect heading comments, and writing the entire Info.plist for the application, that’s a lot of work! I had to look up Info.plist keys, UTI listings, sweep the original source code for the proper value of NSHumanReadableCopyright, and ask a question or two about semantics in the #macdev IRC channel.

Next step, I figure, is to sweep up all the original visual resources – strings, pictures, icons – and reorganize them out of old-style rsrc files into a modern application’s Resources folder. Yes, I’m aware you can still use resource files in OS X, but I feel if you’re going to do something, you might as well do it right!

After that, I have to take a little time out to brush up on my OpenGL 2D, it’s been awhile since I used it and I never did use it for anything this complex. Binding several dozens of textures to represent all the various sprites should be a fascinating undertaking.

I’m enjoying the hell out of myself *grin*. Thanks again, Michael!

9 thoughts on “Missions of the Reliant

  1. Nathan

    My little brother (well, he’s 20, now) just asked me about this game last week, but I couldn’t remember the name… So glad to see this old classic is being revived!

    Reply
  2. Andrew

    I very much hope this project doesn’t die. I loved Mission of the Reliant back in the day. When you finish this, if you need webdesign let me know…

    Reply
  3. Shane

    I just have to say I wish I had the free time and skill to be able to do what you are doing. I just had a flashback of ‘Missions of the Reliant’ and found this page. You’re a legend! Keep me posted aye

    Reply
  4. Vince

    Can’t wait to see this old chestnut reborn. It was one of my favorites. Thanks so much for tackling the project.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.