Well, I cleaned up the command console code quite a huge bit, it now works quite nicely, and also the gunner’s commands are all fully implemented (with the exception of, as with the helmsman, “Report”). I wish I had more progress to report, but I’m still here and I’m still working on the game, so hopefully you won’t lose hope yet.
This project has taken quite a bit longer than I ever expected, I have to admit. I started back in February with the impression that it would be a simple port, but I forgot at the time that I hadn’t yet learned much about OpenGL, OpenAL, and other such things. It’s turned into a tremendous learning experience for me, in everything from subsystems and frameworks to code design and testing procedures. Then real life came and intervened, kicking my progress down to an even slower crawl. That all being said, I’ve been enjoying it all the way through, even when OpenGL and CoreGraphics have been violently frustrating me with the problems of text rendering on a CGL surface :-).
I hope to have a more substantial update this weekend. Wish me luck! As always, my thanks to Michael Rubin for giving me the chance to work at this, even if I have taken just this side of forever ;-)