Missions of the Reliant: Back on the Radar!

It’s been a long time since I made any meaningful posts about Missions of the Reliant, but here I am at last to tell you all that I haven’t abandoned it! First before anything else, thanks to everyone for your exemplary patience with me over the last year or so with no word.

Coming back to the code after all this time and with the experience hard-won in other code, I can see that in the past I was both absolutely brilliant and somewhat stunted :). However, most of the issues that I see have more to do with the code having been originally designed when Leopard was the latest and greatest OS; the technically inclined among you will remember with horror the days of no libdispatch, libcache, libclosure, ARC, or ZWRs. I say without shame that a lot of problems I’ve had (and a few that still exist) would never have happened if I’d had ARC to work with from the beginning.

This brings me to the secondary point of this post – Missions will be the better (and the more quickly completed) for an ARC migration. ARC is supported on Snow Leopard, but one of its most powerful features, Zeroing Weak References, works only on Lion. I had this same debate when SL itself came out, and I’m faced with it again: Am I comfortable with limiting Missions to working only on Lion?

So here I am, asking for the opinion of the loyal followers of this project again, with it kept in mind that I’m working on the code either way: How many of you would be left out by a Lion requirement? (And, more amusingly, how many of you would upgrade to Lion at last just to play!? :)

I’d like to say thanks again to everyone who’s bothered themselves keeping up with my near-silence over the time since I started working on this port. I’ll post again as soon as I have the project building in Xcode 4 (yes, it’s been so long since I touched it that I have to retool it for a whole new Xcode version!). Until then, happy space flights to you all!

16 thoughts on “Missions of the Reliant: Back on the Radar!

1. Dan

I think that’s completely fine–since you were already planning on making it a Snow Leopard or higher release, its only a $30 price bump for anyone who has yet to install Lion. It’s a very reasonable upgrade and if you think it will help make the finished product even better, I say go for it!

2. David Gian-Cursio

I’ve been putting off upgrading to Lion (I’m shy about some of the interface changes, and I’d really prefer if some alternative to Rosetta existed in case I ever get a hankering to play Homeworld 2 or Legacy of Time), but I’m going to have to at some point before the end of June because of the MobileMe changeover. So, what the hell.

3. Michael Rubin

Sweet, great to hear you’re back in business! I was meaning to email you to see what’s going on. As for Lion, I don’t think it will be a huge thing. I say go for it and worry about it later. You’re never going to satisfy everyone anyway, as they say.

4. Trey

First of all: Yaaaaaaaaay! (Exact quote from me upon seeing this entry.)

I don’t think it’s a big deal. As stated above, it’s only $30 to upgrade to Lion, which I would totally do just to be able to play the game. That’s usually the only reason I ever upgrade OSes anyway, that there’s some piece of software I want to run that won’t unless I do. Ever since OS 8 came out, I’ve always been wary of upgrades because of how they can be crappy and break everything you’re used to having.

5. Andrew

I am super excited to see an update! Keep up the awesome work!
    I am on Lion, btw, and plan on going to Mountain Lion when it comes out.

6. Chatham

I might be tempted to upgrade to Lion for this. I remember this being a great game, and it’s wonderful to hear you’re bringing it back! Unfortunately, unlike many PC classics, it seems like there are a ton of classic Mac games that are all but forgotten. Best of luck to you, thanks for this!

7. Vince

I’m pretty well-ensconced on Snow Leopard with no plans to upgrade (too many moves toward iOS in the later systems). It’d be great to have the game on 10.6, but I understand if that makes code more difficult.

8. Kris

This is very exciting! One of my favorite games of all time. Even though I was only able to play the first mission, I played it over and over again. Looking forward to this release with great anticipation.

9. Mike Eggleston

Ok, I have to admit, I am looking forward to hearing some positive news about this game. I loved it when I was a kid, and now as an adult I would love to see its resurgence! Please tell me it is still progressing?

10. Jeremy

I always liked the Missions of the Reliant! series. I hope all of your hard work is still able to be published sometime. We would love to play it!

11. David

I just read that you’re working on an OS X port for “Missions of the Starship Reliant.” I loved this game and I’m thrilled you’re working on this. Could you share an update on how things are going? Thanks A LOT!